Friday, October 22, 2010

Interior Design- Getting the Degree

I am currently pursuing my Bachelor’s of Fine Arts Degree, with a concentration in Interior Design. The curriculum at The Art Institute of Tampa  (where I attend school) requires 192 credit hours to graduate. Once I graduate, I don’t plan on pursuing my Master’s Degree, unless it just so happens that my future employer is eager to pay for it.

I actually did not know that I wanted to be an Interior Designer until I already had about 4 years of college under my belt. I had changed my major too many times to count and never really had any guidance or instruction as far as choosing a career. I choose to come to The Art Institute of Tampa because it was conveniently located near my job. It has turned out to be a good decision, as our curriculum is much more in depth than the other nearby design school. My instructors are experienced, and well educated.

College is expensive!!!! And it has been a struggle, to say the least, to have to go to school full time and also work a full time job. I just cannot spend an extra $100,000 to get my Masters. Once I graduate, I plan to intern until I am eligible to take my NCIQ exam, which I will take in order to be a certified Designer.

5 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have an understanding of the sacrifices it takes to achieve your degree. I work full time as well and understand the struggle you are referring to. It is extremely difficult to maintain decent grades while upholding your responsibilities at work. When do you sleep? One thing that helps me get through this time is remembering that it will all pay off in a mighty way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand that work and school full time is a sacrifice to what everyone else calls a social life. I also think it's interesting that you changed your major many times. What other majors did you choose? Did any of them start to lead you in the direction of interior design?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also not very interesting in pursuing a Masters unless somebody else is paying for it. I also hope to intern after school to take my exam shortly after.

    The working full time is a sacrifice a lot of us have had to make. I work full time in an unairconditioned shop. I know one day I will be a famous designer and buy an air conditioner for GS Custom Guns and Ammo. I know one day all this sacrifice will benefit me and everyone else in my life. Keep telling yourself "Its worth it."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel! Ciera! Katie!

    Ya, it is good to know that I am not alone with the whole work/school struggle! Sometimes it does feel like you are alone in your struggles and that no one really understands you, but I see that all of you are all too familiar with the situation!

    I really like what you said Rachel :
    that it will all pay off in a mighty way!

    I am just ready to finish school and start my life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danielle
    First, I would like to commend you for your hard work because it can be stressful, depressing and exhausting to joggle both school and work. And, yes, in most cases the life of a student requires one to give up any “social” life.
    Just like you, I also went down the confusing process of figuring out what to do in life. I started the college life at 22; I started out in a completely different college and major. It was a little easier then because I was married.

    However, I got divorced at 23 and had to start over again by myself. I stumbled across a job and a new college major. I too have played the joggling game. I worked at Amscot Financial 45 plus hours a week and had four classes a week. I live alone, and unfortunately my family has not been able to provide me with any financial support.

    Yes, college is ridiculously expensive now a day, but I truly feel that the end result will be astonishing and amazingly fulfilling. Hang in there, and see. 

    ReplyDelete